These are magazine and advertising images, yes, but who can resist a stunningly rendered black and white image of a lady casually in between outfits in an uptown New York apartment? They’re also a reminder of the essentialness of proper underwear. Maybe not a girdle, but you know, big pants at the very least.
‘I think my contribution… has been to photograph fashion with a woman’s eye for a woman’s intimate feelings’, Lillian told the New Yorker in 2008. Sadly Lillian died last month, just before the book was published. It’s a worthy memorial.
Lillian Bassman: Lingerie is published by Abrams and Chronicle at £19.99. Images below copyright Lillian Bassman.
Latest posts by anna-marie (see all)
- Special Announcement: Pamflet XIII – Absent in the Spring - March 26, 2015
- Pamflet or Bust! London Christmas Craftacular Sunday 14 December - December 1, 2014
- REVIEW: Clothes, Music, Boys by Viv Albertine - June 19, 2014
- Interview: The Little Book of Lunch - February 25, 2014
- Announcement: Pamflet x Twin - January 30, 2014